Lauran is here today to share her trip to Costa Rica. I just recently "met" Lauran through blogland, and I'm so happy she agreed to guest post today!
~~~
Hey y'all! My name is Lauran and I blog over at The Real Young Housewife of Southern VA! I found Emily through Page Twenty Two after reading her guest post about her Honeymoon vacation to Cabo where they stayed at the RIU Sante Fe! Coolest part of the post? My hubby and I vacationed in Cabo for our honeymoon last June and stayed at... the RIU Sante Fe!!!! It's a shame they were their 2 years prior to when we went! I have no doubt we would have made friends with them quickly!!!
Since I am sure y'all have read about their sweet honeymoon trip I decided I would write about my second favorite vacation as to not rehash a lot of our Cabo trip that y'all have already seen!!
In March of 2009 my hubby {who was then only my boyfriend} and I took a trip to Costa Rica with his Uncle, Aunt and two cousins! This was the first time I had EVER been out of the country and maybe the second or third time I had ever flown on a plane! Being excited was an understatement! I had no idea what to expect, what the house looked like that we were staying in, what the food would be like, NO IDEA AT ALL. I mean yea, you can google Costa Rica, and see all the amazing photos and images, but nothing prepares you for actually being in the middle of it all!
We went for a full week, stayed at a friend of the Uncle's vacation home in the town of Nosara, surfed it {my hubby and the men in his family are huge surfers, which was basically the point of the trip in the first place}, beached it, pooled it, shopped it, and ate to our hearts desire! The sunsets are amazing, especially since we were on the Pacific and I had never seen the sun set in water before! The locals were amazingly nice and accommodating! I don't speak Spanish, nor did I take Spanish in high school or college {Parle vous francais?} so communicating had the potential to be difficult at times but the hubby came to the rescue for that many times! It was all around a blast!
![]() |
| Flying in over Costa Rica! |
![]() |
| Our first dinner! |
I'm a wee bit disappointed as I was going through our photos because I did not once take a photo of ANY plates of food!! Costa Rica is best known for their Casados, which is beans and rice that is served with some sort of meat, salad {which included hearts of palm and avocados...YUM}, fried plantains, cheese, and tortillas. It is seriously to die for. I mean you can't beat authentic Costa Rican food! Breakfast was usually the norm. Eggs, sausage, bacon, LOTS of fruit, but my favorite was banana pancakes! I don't know what they put in them, but I could eat them till the sun went down! Just thinking about it now makes my mouth water!
![]() |
| The pool of our house! |
It gets VERY hot down there during the noon hour of the day! So we normally beached it VERY early in the morning, headed back for lunch, swam in the pool, napped, and then headed back out to the beach at around 5. This also worked well with the surf! It seemed to be the best at those "beach" times as well!
Our house was literally a thirty second walk to the beach and very secluded! We had our own room which was not attached to the actual house. Well it was attached but to get to the kitchen and living room you had to walk outside! We had lots of little critters visit us too. Little geckos greeted us when we came in for naps. I even had one {kinda like the Geico guy} shower with me daily. I named him Chico and we became buddies, that was until the scorpion that paid the shower a visit, decided to eat Chico for dinner! Needless to say the scorpion didn't live very long and I made Todd kill it in the middle of the night because I couldn't sleep!
The views were amazing! Where we live the beach is flat, the land is flat and we don't have mountains or hills like that of Costa Rica! I mean it was pretty desolate and I loved it! I was amazed at how serene and quiet it was! So quite and peaceful!
![]() |
| Breathtaking! |
![]() |
| Infamous sunset! |
![]() |
| I still need to blow this up and frame it! |
![]() |
| Lizards are large and in charge down there! |
![]() |
| My sweet man soaking in the scenery! |
![]() |
| Out to dinner! |
![]() |
| My favorite lunch time spot! |
![]() |
| Cocktails at the house! |
The town of Nosara wasn't very large. They have a bank, an internet cafe, a few surf shops, and a homemade jewelry shop! Seriously that was about it! And the ride through town? Well actually the ride from the airport to Nosara {2.5 hours} was pretty much a nightmare! No paved roads once you get off the main highway in CR. It's a rickety bumpy uncomfortable ride! Mix in having to go to the bathroom and you are totally screwed!
![]() |
| The town of Nosara |
![]() |
| Horseback riding! |
![]() |
| 2 hours of amazingness! |
We went horseback riding one evening to take in all of the coastal scenery! I used to ride horses competitively when I was younger but NOTHING prepared me for this! Two hours non-stop ~ I couldn't walk afterwards! I was literally "bo-legged"! It was so worth it though to ride, site see, and be alone {well with a non English speaking tour guide} with my man!
![]() |
| Loved every second! |
![]() |
| The boys and their boards! |
![]() |
| Our last dinner! |
I hope y'all have enjoyed my little tour of Costa Rica! It was fun to relive the trip again through all of the photos! If you want more information about the town of Nosara, feel free to google it {hahaha} or email me! Todd's Uncle's family has been back several times since we went with them! They've actually gone A LOT over the years and really enjoy themselves! It's a gorgeous place and we are looking forward to visiting again in the future!!! Thanks for listening to me ramble and be sure to stop by and say hi over at my blog!
Wishing Emily safe travels too over the next week and a half! She definitely deserves this vacation! That's one hardworking dedicated gal!!
XoXo,

~~~
Those views are totally breathtaking, and I'm sure those pictures don't even come close to doing it justice! I've heard so many wonderful things about Costa Rica, and I can't wait to go one of these days!
xoxo, emily





















No comments:
Post a Comment